Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Default Data Source error

Can you say more about what the windows that appear are saying?

If one of them is asking about SQL, you probably need to read and apply this
Knowledgebase article:

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You Open a
Word Document"

at

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

I would guess that you might also be seeing a box that asks about encoding,
or perhaps about the delimiters to use. Can you say which? Or maybe it is
something else altogether.

What is the exact format of the file? e.g. is it comma-delimited, with CR/LF
characters at the end of each line? Does it have multiline data in any of
the fields? Does it just contain ANSI characters or does it have accented
characters etc.

Also are there field names that should not be used in merging data?

Typically when Word sees a field name it doesn't like it modifies it, but I
don't think there are any "reserved" names.

Peter Jamieson

"david" wrote in message
news
I'm using a text file (data.wp) for the data source files on vaious word
merge (2003) forms. Lately now only the Administrator can run these forms
because Word prompts for the Data Source. it's location is in the C drive
of
the users pc. When I browse to that location and select it a window
appears
with the data. I click ok and I'm asked again for the Data Source.
Permissions on the "data.wp" is open to everyone. I also tried renaming
the
data source name to data.doc but still having the same problem.
Also are there field names that should not be used in merging data?