Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mike Shuls[_2_] Mike Shuls[_2_] is offline

Default How do I Manage a manual using Word?

I ended up getting your idea to work, but I decided I wanted to convert my
document to PDF to make it easier to read, since reading something complex in
word can be confusing at best.
The only problem is that those images didn't keep their hyperlinks after the
conversion...any ideas?

Thanks
-Shuls

"JamesDart" wrote:

"Mike Shuls" wrote:

James,
I'm making a manual very similar to yours only much smaller. I'm a summer
intern with a copius job that takes a while to learn the ins and outs of, so
I'm making a manual for the next intern and any other future interns during
my free time.

I'm using most of what you're using, 3 levels of headers, a autoTOC and
bookmarks (probably an autoindex as well which ill bookmark so that they are
links...)

I was just wondering if you knew any way to add in an object that will
scroll as the user scrolls with a link back to the TOC, or if there's a good
alternative besides keeping the document map open to easily return to the
table of contents...

Thanks, and good luck on your possible 2500 page beast.

-Shuls

Hiyas Shuls

I'm pretty sure that having a "scrolling object" will create more problems
than solve. What i did, since i have this beast, and frankly, having a
document map open, while is a wonderful function, not everyone understands
it, is just added an icon to represent the Table of Contents on each page
that is hyperlinked.

My solution was the following:
(Part 1)
At the beginning of the document (or just above my Table of Contents) I
typed in very teeny tiny letters "Table"
Highlighted "Table", went into font format and made the text "hidden"
While still highlighted I also gave it a refcode called "Table" as a bookmark

(Part 2)
Then I added my Auto Table of Contents.

(Part 3)
In my "Introduction" I have a page script describing all the little icons
and symbols on any given page. In here, I created a Visio Object (you can
use paint or even import a picture/clipart) to represent the Table of
Contents.

I highlighted this object and named it "AutoTable" as a Bookmark

(Part 4)
Then, I go to the first spot in the manual, all I have to do is select the
spot where i want it (Upper right-hand corner), go to the Insert Tab, Click
on Quick Parts, Click on Fields, Click on Ref, select "Autotable" bookmark,
click on OK...

...and Viola! the picture is now where I want it to be.

(Part 5)
Finally, I highlight the new tableicon and hyperlink it to the "table"
bookmark.

Setup takes a few minutes, then it's just copied/pasted onto each page.
Rather nifty. Got the Idea from Robert (see below)

"Are you talking about an external object to be repeated here (picture,
Visio object, etc.)? You could bookmark the first occurrence and insert a REF
field, technically."

Anyhow, if there's an easier way to do it, i'm open to suggestions. Being
self-taught here, i'm probably working too hard. But, I've read, in it's
entirety, "Step by Step; Office Word 2007" and progressing through "2007
Microsoft Office System." Fantastic resources, but limited on the In's and
Out's. That's why i'm posting here.

James Dart
Special Projects Manager
Sundown M Ranch
"Reality isn't Relevant, Perception is Everything"