Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bo Bo is offline

Default Inserting Instructions in Text Form Field

Right-click on the field Properties then fill in "Type of test" in the
Default Text field.

Alternatively (just so you have options), you could protect the form with
the gold lock icon and then fill in all the placeholder text.

In both cases, if you protect the form, typing in the gray field will
replace the placehold text with new text. If you leave it unprotected,
typing in the filed will replace the field itself with normal text.

It's possible others may have a different and/or better way of doing this.

Cheers

--
BO Haynes
Microsoft Master Instructor (MMI)

"Paul" wrote:

I would like to insert information on what to type in a form. I just found
out how to create a simple form field by clicking on a certain icon in the
Forms toolbar. Let's say I want to insert text in a form that says "type of
test." When I type (something like "history midterm"), I want those words
"type of test" to disappear, just like the grey form field itself. How can I
do that?
--
Paul

MS Office Pro 2003