Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default "Same as previous" loses an item midway thru doc

At your (implied) suggestion, I got rid of all the section breaks except the
division between the front matter and the first section. The Styleref still
disappears at the same point. Another bit of information is that, even when I
had section breaks, the point where it disappears was not (and still isn't)
the beginning of a section. It occurs at a point where I see nothing that
would afffect headers or footers. Another of Word's hidden dependencies, I
guess.

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN