Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
anon k

Default cross-refs across included documents

Stefan Blom wrote:
One way is the following: Insert the illustrations (the source
document) in the main document (the target) via an IncludeText field.
If you want an easy way to exclude the illustrations as you print the
target document, just put a section break before the IncludeText
field.

A good idea, thanks! It is unfortunately a lot of work for a set of
chapters that will undergo a lot of changes, especially since all I want
to insert is a small reference like "Figure 19".

I've started to wonder whether this particular project might be better
handled using LaTEX instead.

But there must be some way that publishers of e.g. art books get around
this difficulty. I have to wonder if I'm just looking at Word in the
wrong way.