Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default how to perform auto correct function on a mail merge document

If you are certain that there is *only* going to be one of six entries in
this field you could use a series of conditional fields all on the same line
eg
{IF {Mergefield fieldname} = "P/S" "Perry Smith Memorial Fund"}{IF
{Mergefield fieldname} = "XB" "Something else"}etc
It would however be easier to add another column to the data file and
produce the required merge information there.
Don't even think of autocorrect for this.

Rong wrote:
in a mail merge, I am familiar with the "if...then...else" statement.
I have a group of codes - 6 of them that I want expanded on the merged
output letter.
Input is in an excel file.
data in that looks like "P/S" in the letter I want "Perry Smith
Memorial Fund" to appear.
any suggestions?
I've updated the auto correct function and it works fine when I type
"P/S" but
how to perform that on the output of the mail merge?
Rong