TF

That is your problem. If the other machine isn't turned on, Windows is
trying to establish the drive mapping and they are not available: Windows
times out and then moves on. Remove the mapping and any other links that are
invalid and it should be OK again.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Don" wrote in message
:I have had a recurring problem that seems to be getting worse. If I try to
: perform some sort of file operation (i.e. open, attach, etc) with any
Office
: 2003 product, it takes an extended period of time (5-20 seconds) to move
: the next level of the directory tree. For example, just recently was
trying
: to attach a file to an Outlook message. When the file select window came
up
: I picked one of the machine's other local drives. It took a while to
: display the contents of the drive. When I selected a folder, it once again
: took a while to show the contents of the folder.
:
: This problem has been around since I had Office 2000 on my machine, and
the
: delay has been getting longer as time goes on. Now, I do have my machine
: networked to another Win2000 machine which has some of its drives mapped
: my main machine. And most of the time this machine is not turned on.
Could
: it be that the Office products are trying to access the mapped drives and
it
: is just taking a long time for it to time out?
:
: Thanks!
:
: Don