Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default contacting the server for information

I have recently purchased two different irons, both of which have an
automatic shutoff feature. I actually lost considerable money on the first
iron by purchasing it on sale and returning it when it wasn't on sale and
then ending up buying the same model at a higher price. The reason I
returned it was that it didn't come on when I turned it on, unless I
unplugged it and replugged it. I later discovered that in order to get it to
come on, I had to waggle it up and down (the motion required to reactivate
it when it had automatically shut off).

The second iron has a reset button that "wakes it up" when it has shut off
automatically. Unfortunately, I have to use this button every time I turn
the iron on, even though I manually turned it off (it didn't shut off
automatically).

I think this design is insane, but it is evidently the way all these irons
work. They all seem to be made in the same factory in China with
different-colored plastic and different labels slapped on.

I'm not happy about this design, but I have learned to live with it. My
expectation of "tech support" is nil, and my expectation that my complaints
would result in a redesign of the irons is even lower.

You may think this is irrelevant, but it *is* a real-world example of a
product that doesn't meet expectations and users have no recourse but to
accept its limitations. There aren't (apparently) even any competitors whose
products work differently.

The first iron was replaced because it overheated and "melted" synthetics
onto its supposedly nonstick surface. If I had done minimal online research
before purchasing it, I would have discovered this flaw (and in fact I did
read numerous unfavorable reviews and still ended up buying the same model a
second time because its features still seemed to me superior to those of the
other models on offer). The second iron is not as "deluxe," but at least it
doesn't destroy my garments or itself. g

http://word.mvps.org

"Julian Maples" wrote in message
Thanks, Suzanne. In what other area do you buy something and then pay to
have
the seller put it right?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can contact Tech Support (for a fee), but there is no way for
ordinary
mortals to interact directly with the Product Group.

http://word.mvps.org

"Julian Maples" wrote in message
Thank you Jay and apologies to Suzanne. I am afraid I assumed that you
were
Msft employees as this is a Mft site.

How does one ask a question of a Msft employee who knows?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Julian, two points:

- Neither Suzanne nor anyone else here is a Microsoft employee. We're
all
users helping users, not product support or marketing. The MVP tag is
an
award, not a job title (http://mvp.support.microsoft.com).

- The file normal.dotm is to Word 2007 what normal.dot was to earlier
versions. It has nothing to do with being on Vista or any other
operating
system. And yes, it still may get corrupted, and renaming or moving it
(preferable to deleting it, if you want to copy customizations from
it)
and
restarting Word is still the way to get a clean template.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Julian Maples wrote:
Well said, Beth.

Suzanne, if you don't know the answer, please find the guy who does.
There will be someone in Msft who knows and these are your
customers.
Marketing will tell you that it is even better to spend effort to
keep existing customers than try to get new ones. Compare the
efforts
you are making with the amount spent on advertising.

I agree with Beth that this is a very recent problem. I too have
been
enjoying Word 2007's superior (to Word 2003) pasting abilities
enabling me to create proper and complete files on subjects for some
time now.

Some commentators on other sites say that this problem can be solved
by deleting and causing Word to re-create normal.dot files. i.e.
that
this problem is caused by corrupted normal.dot files. This used to
be
an issue in earlier versions of Word.

I have searched for normal.dot files but can only find a normal.dotm
file. Perhaps that is because I am runnning Vista?

"beth2000" wrote:

Suzanne, I know you're trying to help, but this problem with the
pasting in Word for me just started in the last week or so. I've
had this version of Word for the better part of two years and I've
never had issues with this thing of having to "Paste Special"
instead of just pasting with no stalling of the program to do this
"contacting the server" thing. So this is not just some aspect of
the program and it has been there all along.

In thinking about it, I suspect that MS has changed something in
its
updates, probably for security or anti-piracy sake, but whatever it
is now had the unintended consequence (or intended) of interrupting
every one of these actions that involves cutting and pasting.

That is why I kind of don't buy into this idea that you are
promoting that this is just a normal thing that was always in Word
2007 and it is operating just the way MS intended it to. It is not
operating the way it was originally intended, and I really resent
having to deal with this extra step to paste something. This is an
issue I also have with MS, that it pulls these kind of things and
then doesn't own up to their part in the matter and tries to act
like it is helping and it is users that just don't understand the
product of don't know how to use it.

It is unacceptable that a user has to go through a big production
like this in order to do a simple operation.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you tried pasting as unformatted text?

http://word.mvps.org

"tonyk" wrote in message
Are you serious that Microsoft hasn't found an issue for this
yet?
SO MANY
PEOPLE HAVE THIS ISSUE!!!. Search some threads on the internet,
and NO it
is NOT an acceptable solution to paste just text, when sometimes
we need the
formatting from the websites. PLEASE help fix this problem!.

"Kristy Walker" wrote:

I have copied text from a website and pasted it into Word. I
keep
getting the
message "contacting the server for information" while the
document
freezes
for 10-15 seconds. This happens repeatedly. How can I stop this?
I do not need the document tied in any way to the original
website, nor do I need any
tie to HTML. (The file is saved as a DOC.)