Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Removing outline numbering from heading styles?

Place the insertion point in the first Heading 1 paragraph of your document,
and then click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. In
the dialog box, make sure to set "Link level to style" to "(no style)" for
each numbering level. When you are done, click OK to close the dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DebsH" wrote in message
Having updated my heading styles by applying a multilevel list (i.e. 1,
1.1,
1.1.1), how do I permanently revert back to simple headings without
numbers?
I can remove the multilevel list from the text itself, but subsequent new
headings continue to be numbered. I can update each heading style in turn
match a selected heading that has had numbering turned off, but there must
surely be a way to remove the outline numbering from all the styles
despite
the fact that outline numbering is no longer accessible via Modify Style?