Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Default After semi-colon, do I capitalize the first word of the 2nd sen.?

touché!

But I thought you were on my side.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
For someone who wants to rid the world of 'i', what sort of name is
"aalaan"?

so
all may benefit.

"aalaan" wrote in message
No I don't wish to 'eliminate the World from the small 'i' but I would

like
to do it the other way round! Your error of order is a bit like the

classic
advert 'Piano wanted by lady with bulbous legs'

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
I was forgetting your crusade to eliminate the World from the small 'i'

and
other grammatical menaces of using phone texting shorthand

out-of-context.

Terry

"aalaan" wrote in message
Agreed about the need for a capital if one should exist anyway, such
as
'I' (that much neglected character) but certainly nor as a matter of
course after a semicolon.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
To expand on those correct answers: as with all grammar rules, this

one
may be broken! The first character following the colon should be
capitalised when a capital is normally demanded. For example, the

phrase
following may be a quote that starts with a capital, a proper name
follows or simply 'I'. The rule isn't absolute.

To make matter worse, there are some writing circles that insist on
capitalising after a colon. But that is only in US English and not in
British or International English.

Allen Wyatt who publishes a Word Tips Newsletter, once provided a tip
for capitalising after a colon stating that Word only had a built in
tool for capitalising after a Stop. He genuinely believes that it

should
capitalise following a colon too, so he produced a macro tool.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"justme" wrote in message
I was just trying to figure out a simple grammar question and could

not
find
a way to ask Word 2003 my question. My question is simply:

When I've combined two sentences with a semi-colon, is it proper to
capitalize the first word of the second sentence or not?