Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
spartiaticus spartiaticus is offline

Default Changing outline level modifies currrent style settings in Wor

I distinctly remember using Word 2003's outline list since I wanted my TOC to
be modified in accordance with the changes I made throughout the document
body. I know with 100% certainty I did not use the bullets or numbering
icons. This much I'm sure of. They accomplish other things. What I'm not
entirely certain of is whether I enabled some other setting that
automatically adopts the user's chosen outline formatting for future editing.
I remember being queried by the application regarding maintaining my current
formatting, something I have not seen surface in Word 2007...

Perhaps I should have elucidated this in my first post. The 'icon' I'm using
is actually a drop-down box that I added to the toolbar where you can
customize it in the options section. If this is equivalent to 2003's outline
list, I have chosen the correct tool based on my previous experience, but it
doesn't cause the same results. My intention is not to create 'lists' per se,
but hierarchical titles for document chapters and sections that will be
reflected in the TOC as well as being conveniently accessed through the
document map. This was such a simple affair in Word 2003 that's turning into
an editing nighhtmare tantamount to an entire work in and of itself.

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

The new thing about W2007 is that the multilievel list icon is there beside
the bullets and numbering icons. Those last two (actually the two left
icons in the list section) are what you used in W2003 and before. The levels
are not associated with different styles, and will be all in the _list
paragraph_ style, unless you have chosen the option to have them in normal.

You apparently clicked the multilevel list icon. It is equivalent to
W2003's outline list and behaves pretty much the same way. Both are linked to
styles and when an item gets promoted or demoted, its style changes too.
Multilevel/outline lists are used, for example, for numbered headings or for
numbered paragraphs and clauses in legal documents.

Your fix is this:

If you, for the most part, don't use styles, select a list, clear formatting,
and then click the bullet or numbering icon; demote list items as
necessary.

Or

If your documents are styles based, apply the appropriate list bullet style
or list number style to your list items.

Good luck,
PamC

spartiaticus wrote:
Hi,

In Word 2003, whenever I changed the outline level through the toolbar icon,
my document formatting (font, indent, spacing, etc.) for that specific
heading would not change. Only the outline level changed. In word 2007, doing
the same thing forces what seems to be a default heading style to the area of
the document that is changed. Although I believe I understand the reason for
this. it was unexpected.

The document is not new but was created in a previous version of Word. I
would expect Word 2007 to respect the original formatting of the document and
not apply any other style, default or otherwise unless explicitly commanded
to do so. As it is right now, when promoting or demoting an outline level I
must make a host of other modifications to revert to the document's original
formatting.

If I am doing something wrong, please inform so that I can properly use this
newer version, or direct me to a workaround that is just as effective. Thank
you.

How are you applying the levels? What style is assigned at the outset?

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

Thanks in advance.