Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default adding headers and footers to a word document

First of all, if you're using Insert | Page Numbers to add page numbers,
don't! If you have previously done so, go through and delete all the page
numbers. Unfortunately, Word doesn't provide an easy way to do this (for
example, there's no "None" selection in the Insert | Page Numbers dialog
that will remove existing page numbers), and you have to be sure you get the
frame along with the PAGE field (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm)

Now, realize that adding page numbers to the Odd Page Footer doesn't affect
the Even Page Footer and vice versa. You have to do it manually both places,
using the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar. Format
the page numbers using the Format Page Number button; if you set numbering
to restart in the section after your front matter, then it may continue to
restart in each succeeding section you add unless you change to "Continue
from previous section."

"PhilB" wrote in message
Suzanne

Yes, I did see your first reply. I didn't understand your statement, 'the
fourth time' until I realized my original post ended up being posted 4

times.
I went to all the links you gave me(and I have been to yours before).
Obviously I am doing something wrong, but I have tried every combination I
can think of, all without the desired result. I go over each step two or
three times to be sure I am doing it correctly. When I insert a new

section,
put in the odd page header and even page header, and check 'different odd

and
even', the numbering in the footer gets changed as well and alternates
between a number and a blank, i.e., page one blank footer, page 2

numbered,
page 3 blank, page 4 numbered, etc. I want the author/title for just the
main document, beginning with chapter one, and without any changes to the
numbering in the front and main body of the text.
In reading over your latest reply, you said, 'Different odd and even,

when
enabled applies to the whole document. Is that the answer? I cannot have

it
only on the main text in the book? I know you are answering many of these
questions for many posters, and that you are volunteering your time. It

was
your assistance in the past that enabled me to number my book with

separate
front and main text and omit the numbers on the first page of each.
Numbering is now a snap because of your article.
I am so sorry for this long post, but I just wish, instead of general
instructions,or referrals to links, I could get a step by step to add the
author/title and without disturbing the rest of the document. I will not
bother you any more with this. You are the only one who has responded
previously (and often) and who has been of any help to me. I just want to
get on with my writing and not spend days and days on this one issue. I'm
going to be 74 in December and I find my frustration level is very low

these
days. Thank you for your past help.
Phil Birmingham

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you see my reply to your first posting? I think if you read those
referenced articles things will become clearer, but here are the

essentials:

1. You can have up to three different headers/footers in any section:

First
Page Header, Even Page Header, Odd Page Header. When you check the box

for
"Different first page," you can apply it to a specific section or the

entire
document. "Different odd and even," when enabled, applies to the whole
document.

2. Except when using a StyleRef field in a header (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm), you will need to add a
section break every time you want to change the content of any one of

these
three headers/footers, *and* you must unlink that header/footer in the

new
section from the corresponding one in the previous section.

3. If you want to have different running heads on recto and verso pages,

you
need to check "Different odd and even." If you want to omit the head on

the
first page of a chapter, you need to check "Different first page."

4. Generally speaking, if your running heads will be mostly the same
throughout the document (or will use a StyleRef field to pick up the

chapter
title), it's easier to insert their content *before* inserting the

section
breaks (or at least before unlinking the headers if required).

Again, I refer you to these articles:

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"PhilB" wrote in message
Suzanne

I have been to countless sites, read countless FAQ's and various

articles
on
this particular question. I have also been to training and forums at
Microsoft Office. I download and print the articles and attempt to

add
the
author and title, only to have it mess up the numbering. Isn't there
somehwere to get a step by step to do what I want to do? Only then

will I
be
able to determine what box I am checking or not checking, etc. I can

format
for page numbers, make the first page different and break the document

into
front and main text with different numbering system. When I try to

use
'different page', etc. to add the author and title, everything gets

screwed
up. Contrary to what might seem obvious, I am intelligent and have a

better
than average vocabulary, but this thing is eluding me somehow. I'm

sorry
be a pest, but I have followed whatever leads you and others have

directed
me
to. I need a step by step, it's as simple as that.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The answer the fourth time is the same as the first, q.v.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"PhilB" wrote in message
I have been working for most of several days to accomplish one

thing,
which
is still eluding me. I am working with Word 2003.

I have written a novel. I have broken it into two sections. The

first
section contains the front matter with lower case Roman numerals.

The
second
section contains Arabic numerals. Both sections have 'different

first
page'
checked off on page layout and they look fine.

What I am now attempting to do is Put the title of the book on odd

pages
and
the author name on the even pages. I have tried everything I can

possibly
think of, and chased down innumerable tutorials on the Internet

for
doing
this. As with the other sections, I am attempting to leave Title

off
the
first page.

I have been playing with adding sections, turning the 'same as

previous'
on
and off, 'different odd and even', etc. but still, no matter what

do, I
end
up messing up what I have previously done.

I would GREATLY appreciate a step by step instruction on how to

accomplish
the foregoing. By using that, I will be able to determine what I

did
or
did
not do correctly. I am at wits end, and would appreciate whatever

help
you
can give me.

Phil Birmingham