Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Be consistent with Unicode codepoints!

da9ve wrote:
Also, when I (rarely) use the Insert Symbol tool to insert a character _in
the Symbol font_ - I cannot toggle those characters with Alt+X. Why not?
What's different about them?

Because they do not have unique character values. They are "ANSI"
characters formatted via a font change to look like another character. When
you insert a "character" from the symbol, webding, or wingding fonts, the
character codes are all 255 and below. So an alpha has the same character
code as a (97); mu, the same as m (109); the serifed circle R, the same as
cap O with grave; and the webding snowflake and the wingding ship on ocean,
the same as T (84). This is the older, pre-Unicode, method for obtaining
special characters. At one time you could toggle these characters to get the
hex code. For the last few years MS has protected them to avoid losing the
formatting (& making the character look like what it is).

Needless to say, the whole point of Unicode is to have a unique character
code for each character (or glyph) in the set.

Pam