See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm. FWIW,
I don't agree with everything John writes there.

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Hi, Jackie. This refers to space below the paragraph. Space between the
lines is line spacing (in the Format Paragraph dialog).
I'm not familiar with John's book. Yes, it sounds like he's contradicting
himself.
In Word, line height is also the line spacing, or...yes...the font size,
basically. I believe he's trying to say if you have double line spacing,
then that would mean a 12pt font would be 24 points spacing, and that you
should use 8 pts space before in that case. Does this make sense?
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hi

My query might seem basic to you Word experts but I am new to Formatting
Styles, so please bear with me!

I've been reading 'Word Templates: A Guide to their Creation' by John
McGhie, which I have found incredibly useful. But I'm a bit confused

about
his suggestions for spacing text under Format StylesModifyParagraph.

I have no trouble understanding spacing above and below headings but I

have
come unstuck with the spacing suggestions when it applies to body text.

John suggests putting no space above and 9 pts below for Book Antiqua

12pt
body text. Does this mean the space below a block of text (i.e. a

paragraph)
or is it referring to the space between the lines?

John also suggests setting "the space above each body text para to three
quarters of its line height" for a modern looking document. I'm a bit
confused by this also. Is he contradicting the idea of no space above?

Or
is
he making a new suggestion entirely? I can't tell. And, sorry if I'm

being
dumb, but how do I know what the line height is? Is it equal to the

point
size of the text?

I'd really appreciate it if John McGhie could post a reply!
--

Many thanks
Jackie D