Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gene L. Gene L. is offline

Default Floppy disc problem

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Copy them to your hard disk first, then try to open them.

Floppy drives are prehistoric technology and probably you have an old
drive in old hardware. It may be clogged with eons of dirt or the heads
may be out of alignment.

It may also be that you floppies have been damaged by stray
electromagnetic or magnetic fields or have been poorly stored (e.g.
extremes of hot, cold or damp conditions).

Try to see if you can find someone with a floppy drive that could test the
disks for you before writing them off.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Goldendauber" wrote in message
I cannot open files on any of my floppy discs in the A drive. I get a
message
statig the data media is not recognized.

Thank you

For what it is worth, I purchased a Dell in 2007 and had them install a
floppy disc because I had quite of bit of data on floppies at the time. I
have not had any problems whatsoever with Microsoft Word or Excel. I can
save or retrieve with no problems. It is slow however in retrieving and
writing directly to this A drive. Using a floppy is great for quick ,
temporary back-up of spreadsheets that are not too large.
Good Luck.
Gene L