Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Default Styles in Word 2007

Jay,

Have your heard of any action being taken to resolve the bug where
Word throws and error if you are scanning the QuickStyle pane with
"Live Preview" enabled and mouse over the current applied style?

On Apr 24, 8:19 am, Jay Freedman wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 05:00:02 -0700, PeterBBailey

wrote:
In earlier versions of Word, any style name used was displayed at the top
left of the screen. Now, I see a few styles shown at the top right of the
screen, but, if I'm in a style that's not one of those shown, where do I know
what style it is? Yes, I can right-click and see what it is, but, that's kind
of silly. Why isn't there any easy way to know what style you're in? I work
for a publishing company and we get hundreds of Word documents from the
outside world, and, I need to determine their structure to some degree. It's
frustrating to not be able to see the styles used.
Thanks.

There are several solutions to this, but here's the one I think is the
most elegant: The style dropdown that was on the Formatting toolbar in
earlier versions of Word is still available and can be put on the
Quick Access Toolbar (QAT).

Right-click the QAT and choose Customize. In the dialog, set the
"Choose commands from" box to "Commands not in the Ribbon". Select the
command that says "Style" and has a dropdown icon on the right side.
Click the Add button and click OK.

The toolbar will always show the style at the current insertion point,
and you can use the dropdown to apply another style. To determine what
styles appear in the list and in what order, open the Styles task pane
(Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S) and click the Manage Styles button at the bottom.

You might also like the little floating dialog you get by pressing
Ctrl+Shift+S.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman