Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Styles in Word 2007

Okay....I guess I'm not following why you expected the issue to not occur
when you started Word using the /a switch and then selected the Prompt to
Update Style option. After all, that's what is causing the error to occur
and if it's enabled you'll encounter the bug.

Perhaps you're trying to figure out the logic behind the issue? The
underlying cause is since Live Preview does change the format of the text in
the document. and when you hover over various styles, Word "thinks" the
format for the paragraph changed, but then discovers it doesn't and throws
the error.

(FWIW, this bug was filed with all of the details quite some time ago.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
I started Word with the /a switch, turned Prompt to Update on, then
proceeded. In Safe mode, which is different, you can't access the Advanced
settings, so it's impossible to test the bug in Safe mode.

I usually keep Prompt to Update turned off. For updating styles, I've had
RedefineStyle assigned to Ctrl+Shift+D ever since that command was
introduced back around WinWord 97 (I think... but I don't recall). The
nice thing about it is that it even works on Normal. It's a real time
saver when designing templates.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Since the "Prompt to Update Styles" option is off by default how are you
reproducing it when you use the /a switch to start Word?

Personally, I leave the Prompt To Update Styles turned off since styles
are so easy to update these days.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
Yep. I see it now... even happens with the /a switch. Cute.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Sorry Herb, I wasn't trying to provide exact repro steps, just enough
info to see if that's what Greg was referring to. Here you go: