Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Suppressing header but not footer in a document

Hi Helen -

You may want to reread Suzanne's article - the section pertaining to
"Letterhead for a multi-page letter". It's a little tricky the first time
you do it as she mentions in the article If you cut out the detail it may
make it a bit more clear:

1- In a new blank doc go to View Header and Footer. Set up the H/F as you
want it to be on the *2nd* page of a new doc. (We'll call this H/F B)

2- Go into Page Setup and tick the box for Different First Page and don't
worry about the work you've already done seeming to "disappear".

3- The H/Footer 'boxes' will now be captioned as First Page Header and First
Page Footer respectively. Set up what you want to appear on the *1st* page
of a new doc. (We'll call this H/F A)

4- Save as a template & close.

Create a new doc based on your template & you'll see that it uses H/F A.
However, to test it, create a page break & you should see that page 2 uses
H/F B, as will any additional pages if the doc goes beyond a second page.
The _first_ page however will continue to use H/F A.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/23/07 4:15 PM, in article
, "Helen"
wrote:

I revealed formatting and expanded Section and see reference to the footer.
When I did the suppress action, I didn't see any change made in the Reveal
Formatting. So I guess I don't understand what you mean.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

If you want it at the bottom of *every* page you'll need to put a copy of it
in the first footer of every *section* - H/Fs work as a team, so what
pertains to one pertains to the other on a Section-by-Section basis. IOW,
you can't 'continue' a H without continuing its respective F & vice-versa.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Helen" wrote in message
I followed Susan Barnhill's great directions for creating a header for
second
and subsequent pages of a letter. However, once I activate "different
first
page," I've lost the Footer that's supposed to be at the bottom of every
page.