Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default typographical spaces en-, em-, thin, and number in Word.

FWIW, when I want to insert a special character, I tend to look for it in
the Symbol dialog rather than Help.

"jones0430" wrote in message
news
So they are. Then why doesn't the help system point this out? Searching
for
spaces brings up many technically correct entries, but typographical

spaces
are not mentioned. A layout program ought to document this ability. I

don't
have the patience to search by discovery.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Depends what you mean by "support." I've been using en and em spaces in

my
documents for many versions now. Em and en spaces, as well as 1/4 em

space,
are on the Special Characters tab of the Insert | Symbol dialog, and you

can
assign keyboard shortcuts to them as I have. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm. These and other
spaces can be found in the 2002-200A character range in Arial Unicode

MS,
Lucida Sans Unicode, and some other fonts. I suspect that Word inserts

them
from MS Mincho, since they have a regrettable tendency to revert to that
font under stress. If these glyphs were included in Times New Roman,

Arial,
and other Windows core fonts, it would certainly help.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"jones0430" wrote in message
Microsoft misrepresents Word to the Business Community as a page

layout
program. I have labored under this for many years, as many companies

believe
that you can produce large and complex documentation using Microsoft

Word.

Word does not even support the use of en-, em-, thin, or number

spaces,
all
accepted standard typographical spaces. How many more years will

Microsoft
continue to fail to support these basic typographical layout elements?

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout