Jack*

So I am actually causing my own headaches by allowing that annoying red light
to cause a knee jerk reaction and start a 3 hour defrag. In older versions,
if you used the computer while it was defragging, it wouls stop and start
over, but this version just keeps chugging along. I think I will accept the
consensus of two here and just turn off that defrag sensor.

Then, every month or so, if I sense a nervous breakdown approaching, I will
just run it and go about other chores for a few hours.g

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The problems of fragmentation are overstated and made largely irrelevant
with the use of NTFS filing systems. I have rarely found the need to defrag
and have noticed no difference in performance when I have done so.

Jack* wrote:
Seems strange that they would go to the trouble of creating a
defragmenting program if one were not even needed, and then to
include that program in every version of windows since Windows 3.x

I just ran the Norton defrag again, got to 97% and took 2 hrs and 50
minutes.

Jack

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I recently installed Zone Alarm Pro (though I'm far from happy with
it); before that I had no firewall. I don't defrag. Well, I did once
even though Windows assured me it wasn't necessary. I've got an 80
GB drive only a quarter full, so not much fragmentation.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Jack*" wrote in message
If that is so, I assume you use the Windows defragger. It is the
NSW System Doctor that is driving me nuts. In the past it was no
problem and always did a 100% defrag. Now, after doing a 3+ hour
long defrag the best I was getting was a 97% defrag and it is
alarmed at 95%. Hours after the defrag, the alarm was red again
and under 95%.

In the past, the clusters were in different colored blocks which
supposedly told you what they were and how often they were used.
Now every defragged cluster is blue meaning that every file on my
system is frequently used. DUH!

In the past, below the defragged clusters there would only be a few
unmovable items. Last night I finally got a 100% defrag, but there
were dozens and dozens of used "grey" clusters below the defragged
clusters. I decided to run it again and when it was done - just
half an hour ago - I was at 92% defragged.

If you only use NAV, what firewall do you use?

Jack

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I have limited my use of Symantec software to NAV (*without* the
Office Plug-in) and have been well-satisfied with that. Perhaps I
should knock on wood before saying that it seems to run (including
automatic updates) with as little disruption as possible, and I'm
happy with it (unlike my husband, who had nothing but trouble with
its insistence on trying to phone home every time he booted up,
whether he had an active connection or not), but I know that, as
in all things computer, YMMV.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Jack*" wrote in message
news I already used the automated assistant and it checked my system.
It found I had removed a file from my startup that NSW requires.
I reselected that item for startup, but it didn't help the
problem. As I said earlier their Knowledge Base is bleak. As
for e-mail, there is an opportunity to tell them about problems,
but they do not respond to those e-mails, they only collect info.
The other e-mail offer is to presend your problem details and get
a control number prior to making a $30 phone call for support.
After more than 10 years with Norton, I am thinking of moving on.

Jack

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It appears that Symantec doesn't have any discussion groups, but
its support options include an automated assistant, a knowledge
base, and, if those fail, email assistance.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Jack*" wrote in message
The problem I am having is with Norton System Works 2005's
System Doctor. I searched Google Groups for Symantec System
Doctor and found ONE string that seemed similar to my problem.
After clicking on 5 or 6 broken links I looked closer and saw
that the string was from 1998.

I then searched for Norton System Works 2005. It showed me
HUNDREDS of places to buy the software but nary a hint of
support issues.

Jack

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

When you read a newsgroup (NG) using a newreader such as
Outlook Express, you are using NNTP, the native format of
Usenet NGs. Some companies, such as Microsoft, offer either
their own Web forums (hosted only on their own servers) or a
Web interface to the NNTP NGs. Microsoft both
hosts
Usenet
NGs
(at msnews.microsoft.com) and provides an HTTP (Web) interface
(the Communities) to access them. This is useful for users
behind a corporate firewall that does not permit direct access
to Usenet. There are other third-party portals such as Google
Groups (one of the best) and WordForum (possibly one of the
worst) that do much the same thing.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Jack*" wrote in message
news Usenet has many thousands of NGs...

(either NNTP NGs or Web forums)

Have no clue about the above abbreviations. By no means a
computer novice, I rarely venture into newsgroups. I am
overjoyed to find a seriouse site like this, but most are
just sewers in disguise. Not even a
newsgroup,
just
discovered that mainstream AOL is the biggest SEWER on the
planet.

I have never used AOL but I do use their IM. Two days ago I
decided to check their chat rooms to ask a question about AOL
AIM. I
entered
the
room
that seemed most appropriate and saw nothig but trash and was
immediately bombarded with IM's from those within. I then
hopped in and
out
of
several
other rooms of varying descriptions and all were the same. I
cannot believe that one single parent on the planet would
allow their
children to
use
AOL
as
their ISP.

Sorry for the rant, I came here and you solved my problem in a
flash,
and
thank you for that.

Jack...by no means a prude, but there are limits.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Usenet has many thousands of NGs, some of which undoubtedly
pertain to Norton products. Whether Symantec hosts any of
them (either
NNTP
NGs
or
Web
forums) I don't know.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Jack*" wrote in message
I have rebooted and opened word and the pdfmaker toolbar
is
intact.
Thanks
again. Is there a site like this for Norton products?
Their
knowledge
base
is bleak and I am having problems with their disk optimizer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you find, after you have restarted Word, that
PDFMaker.dot is unchecked again, then you need to make
sure that the Startup
folder
it's
in is
the
one
Word is actually using (compare it to the path at Tools

Options |
File
Locations). If that is all correct, then the only thing
can
think
of
is
that some other add-in is unloading it.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jack*" wrote in message

Is PDFMaker.dot listed under Tools | Templates and
Add-ins?

But of course it is.

If so, is it checked?

But of course it wasn't. Thank you so much, the
toolbar
is
back,
but
have
no idea what I did to lose them in the first place.
Again,
thank
you
Suzanne.

Jack

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is PDFMaker.dot listed under Tools | Templates and
Add-ins?
If
so,
is it
checked? I'm not clear why it would not be loading
if
it's
in
the
Office
Startup folder. Are you getting any messages at
startup
about
macros
being
disabled?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all