TF

Jim

As Suzanne implies, what you see on screen is the result of the Screen Font:
theoretically, the Screen Font and Printed Font should look identical. But
in reality, this depends on your graphics card and driver, the quality of
the screen and the font being used. The screen resolution is set at 72dpi,
which is not particularly high compared to the printer, but is usually more
than satisfactory for the eye. However, jaggies in large fonts is command
and difficult to overcome. If you have a TFT monitor, you can use the Clear
Type option in Display Properties under Effects. You can also download a
free enhancement tool called ClearTweak from
http://www.ioisland.com/cleartweak/ : some people hate the smoothing effect
of ClearTweak, others love it. But it is easy to switch off if you don't
like it.

Terry

"Jim" wrote in message
: On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:19:28 -0000, "TF"
: terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote:
:
: Jim
:
: Not at All. Word will accept paper up to 22" x 22" on which a character
: 1,638 points (which is what Suzanne meant to type) in most fonts will
: comfortably fit on paper that size.
:
: Certainly a figure 8 in Arial, Bold 1,638points has room to spare!
:
: Thanx, Terry. My perception of the point-inch relationship must be
: off. I would figure 1,638 points to be closer to 23 inches. And gosh -
: I don't think too many of us non-professionals out her have printers
: that will accept 22x22 paper, regardless of what Word will accept. And
: my funal questions still stands: when I input a "figure 8 in Arial,
: Bold", the "jaggies" are rather prominent on my screen; wouldn't they
: also show up on paper?
:
:
: Blessed be, for sure...