Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Why does Word make me close all docs before I can delete a doc?

I think you are missing the point. This is a peer-to-peer group so Microsoft
will never read your post. So berating your peers is hardly going to be
productive.

If you feel strongly about this, then please report it direct to Microsoft.
It Weill mean calling them and raising a
"Three Lefts" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 17:38:38 +0300, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

This is a user peer group, not Microsoft, so your whingeing here is
misdirected, and hardly likely to encourage your peers to offer
assistance.

If you open a doc file and save it as docx, lock files for both the doc
and
docx versions are created.

Do you think this is a good design?

While the lock files are open, you cannot delete
the parent file. If you close the (now) docx version of the file, the lock
files are closed and you can delete the doc version (and the docx version
if
you wish).

This is not always true. If you read my original post, you will see
that I had several docs open when I opened xxx.doc file. Noticing that
it had not been converted, I did so, creating xxx.docx. I then tried
to delete the xxx.doc. No good. Remembering that Word has this little
bug, I then closed xxx.docx and tried again. No good. I had to shut
down all of the open Word docs before I could delete xxx.doc.

This is very inconvenient and terrible progamming. It's wrong and it's
stupid and if I want to complain about it, I will. If that irritates
you or the other "MVPs", then I guess I'll struggle on without your
"help".

You may not like it, but that's the way it works.

That is the way it works. It's wrong.

Get over it.

This is helpful. No, I will not get over it. You may be ready to
accept mediocre products from M$FT, but I do not. I am stuck with the
crap from Redmond for now, but alternatives are coming. The attitude
of "helpers" like you will only serve to hasten their acceptance.