Mark

Default Chapter numbering without sections

I am using Word 2002 in Windows XP. I divided a long document into separate
chapters. In each chapter, I used page numbering to insert a number on the
right-hand bottom corner. Then, I manually inserted the chapter number in
front of the page number field. Of course, the table of contents for the
chapter does not show the chapter number. Word help indicates that I must
use section breaks to delineate the chapter numbers. However, I would like
to minimize section breaks, and find Word's instructions to executing this
to be very confusing at best. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks