Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Mail merge in Word from Outlook Catagories

It might help to see http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

Avoid the AddressBlock field - simply insert the fields you want from the
Merge Toolbar (see
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm - which doesn't
only concern labels)

If you save a document as a tempate, it is saved by default in the user
templates folder defined at tools options file locations. This will make
it available from file new. You can set this location anywhere you want
(if you have adminstrator privileges).

Stephen wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I basically seem to have two problems.

I'm not even sure if I have the correct words in so that it will be
recognized in Outlook. In Outlook, I've filtered the categories so
that I only have text next to the box that says "Full Name" and then
under "Addresses" the box says "Business." So in the template, I'm
Should I possibly using "AddressBlock"?

Also, when I try to save a template, I goes into Word's template
folder, which I can't retrieve because it is under c:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\ApplicationData. But when I go into
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator there is no
"ApplicationData." So I can't retrieve the template.

Consequently, I've saved it in C:\ss\ which I can at least find. But
when I try to save a template in this folder, I save it with ««Full
that this it Word's default template for mail merge but is there some
way to turn it off so that I can do the name and address?
Eventually, I do want a greeting line but I just haven't gotten that
far yet.

Sorry for dumping this all on you. Maybe I should put it in several
separate questions like, "How do you save a template without it
disappearing," etc.

Thanks again for any help you can give me.

Stephen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

But when I try mail merge from Outlook into a .dot with Full
Name and Business Address on it, nothing happens.

I would try creating a .doc with the text/layout/fields you want but
no mailmerge data source. Save it, then make a copy and specify that
as the document to use in the Outlook Mail merge dialog box.

Do you see any signs of activity at all?

Peter Jamieson

"Stephen" wrote in message
I am trying to mail merge in Word from Outlook Categories. I have
customized
the current view in Outlook so that it only shows one category and
in that category is only the Full Name and Business Address.

But when I try mail merge from Outlook into a .dot with Full
Name and Business Address on it, nothing happens.

When I try to do mail merge from Word, it says "Either there is no
default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the
messaging request.
Please run Microsoft Office Outlook and set it as the default mail
client."

I have Outlook Express as my default email because I have more than
one Identity. I guess I could change the default to Outlook to do
mail merges and then change it back again to check my email but I'd
rather not, if possible.

Hopefully, someone can help me out as I am lost.

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can give me.

Stephen