Graham Mayor

The defaults for normal.dot are hard coded in the application, but Word will
create them as a file called normal.dot when it is run. Whether or not you
save that file is another matter, but the first time you use Word without
having saved that file, it will either do so automatically or prompt you to
save it depending on what option you have set in tools options save.
Occasionally add-ins can prevent normal.dot from saving - I believe the
Acrobat 7 add-in falls into this category.

joepd wrote:
Nope, I have done the same things with my Word 2003 that Big Sur has
done and I am convinced that normal.dot must be hardcoded in 2003 and
only presents if you make significant changes.

Joepd

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Normal.dot is a hidden file in the folder indicated at tools
options file locations user templates.

Big Sur Cowgirl wrote:
I am unable to find or open the Normal.dot file in Word 2003 Pro
Edition. A search on my computer, even with the settings set to
show/search hidden files and system files, etc., returns no results!
Therefore, any changes I make to the toolbars are never saved. Does
anyone know where to go from here -- short of paying $35 for an
email conversation with MS?