sf

Graham Mayor wrote:
The answer to the problem is to never ever read from, write to or

print from
floppy with Word. This is the most certain method of ensuring

document
corruption. Copy to the hard disc and work on the document from

there, then
copy back to the floppy.

sf wrote:
Terry - I have further information about the situation and this

isn't
the time for sarcasm. I'm a teacher, those computers were donated
years ago and the floppy drive isn't external - do there is no

option
to use something else more up to date. I am not in a position to
consider if an EXTERNAL CD-RW is the answer to my problem (or not).

YES - floppies are ancient technology, as are the computers I'm

having
trouble with... does this mean you're going to donate some modern
technology to my classroom? LOL Then you won't need to scoff at

my
situation.

FYI: I tried to reformat the floppy on the computer that didn't

like
it, but it gave me a message that the floppy was a damaged. The

other
two computers didn't reject the floppy, but when I transfered it to

my
"new technology" computer which usually reads such old technology,

the
floppy didn't have any information on it. Maybe the floppy was
flawed, but it was straight out of the same box which has produced
other floppies that worked on those computers - so maybe it's a
factory problem, maybe not. I was hoping for a little "more

obvious"
information though... does this mean you think 3 computers are
suddenly out of alignment or do you mean the computer reading it is
suddenly out of alignment?

I'm unclear about what reading directly from a floppy drive means.
Can you understand that in the entire time I've used floppies I've
done that without any problem - EVER? I know what you mean by

direct
write, but I'm unclear what you mean by direct read. I've never
heard of saving a file to HD before reading, but my problem was

that
the files didn't appear on the floppy in the first place - so it
wasn't even an option.

Glad you brought up ancient technology though. My old/home win98
finally died this week (haven't given the HD a good, christian

burial
though, because I need to recover data). Soooo looking at new
comptuer options - I see an internal floppy isn't an option in many
cases. I have lots of floppies that I need to read, so I want an
internal floppy drive, but it isn't available on a lot of the Dell
options. :\

My BIG question is about the other options. I' stayong with 80

GIG.
No reason to upgrade from that - but I'm wondering if the I should
choose the DVD-RW/DVD option with appropriate software (otherwise

it
wouldn't be an option). However, I need to know what situations I
would use it for.... and are they legal or illegal?

Are you up to helping me with things like selecting dual/single
channel SDRAM?

I'm thinking of selecting (OS) XP-Pro, because it would be

convienent
to be able to access my work computer from home and vice versa...

but
I only want "Home Office" because I need Power Point, but don't

need
anything fancier than Word and Excel beyond that.

Feedback is welcome.

TIA
sf
````````

TF wrote:
If this was a preformatted disc, it would suggest that the drive

you
tried it on is out of alignment. I expect that if you did a full
format of the floppy on that drive, I expect it would have worked.
Floppies are mechanical and very ancient technology.

However, don't do it. You should NEVER save or read a document
directly from/to a floppy. Always use the HDD and then COPY to or
from the floppy.

The best solution is to throw away the floppy drive and use

something

designed for the 21st Century.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've had the experience of trying to save a doc on a floppy that

knew was formatted and getting that message. When I moved to a
different computer, I could save onto the disk... so what's wrong
with the computer that won't let me save to removable disk?

sf