Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Word 2007 (and Excel 2007) open slowly

Historically Norton AV has had an Office plug-in that doesn't do anything
useful, but slows down document access (or stops it completely).
Turn off the office plug-in.
With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run
e.g.
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

br72 wrote:
1. Don't know about the virus scanner. I have Symantec Client
Security that came preloaded with my brand spanking new Lenovo
Thinkpad T60 (Core duo2 2 ghz and 2 gb of RAM). That means I have
Symantic Client Firewall and Norton Antivirus 10).

2. It does take as long to open from the shortcuts (my docs or my
recent docs) from the Start Menu.

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

Is your virus scanner integrated into Office? That might be
something to check.
Does it also take this long if you open the program via their
shortcuts in the Start Menu?