Beth Melton

Suzanne provided you with the info for using the /t switch, however
why not just create a shortcut to your template and use it instead?
The default action for Word templates is to create a new document
based on the template rather than opening the template for editing.

Personally I prefer this method since if I want to open the template
for editing I can right-click the shortcut and select "Open".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Steve" wrote in message
I want word to default to a certain template when I run from the
desktop. (I don't want to replace normal.dot.) The Word helpfile
(after a lot of searching) says you can use a /t switch from the
command line (the Run command from the Start menu) to specify a
template name. However, the Run command doesn't seem to recognise
anything with a "/" symbol after the filename. Is there a
compatibility problem here? How can I achieve this? Can it be done
from a shortcut?