Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Default I want to prevent an extra line when a merge item is not present

You need to put this conditional field on the end of the previous line (not
on its own line) and add the line feed in the code thus:
{IF {mergefield Address_Line_2}"" "
{mergefield Address_Line_2}")

ShadyBradyHat wrote:
Using WORD and a template I built, I have an extra line when there is
no data for Address_Line_2. The code is as follows:

{IF {mergefield Address_Line_2}"" "{mergefield Address_Line_2}" "")

The help information does not provide anything that I could find on
this.