Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Problem Maintaing Excel Format after Mail Merge

Normally Word will retain information about the attached data source. By
default it expects to find that data source in the My Data Sources folder or
in the same folder as the merge document. Elsewhere and it *may* not be able
to keep track. The answers are to re-attach the data source before merging
or move it to a location where it can find it.

Mike wrote:
Hi Doug,

The DDE options worked. The formating was retained. Thanks for your
tips.

I have another problem though. All the while, I've been testing the
merge documents stored in local hard drive. It works fine. However,
when I tried to merged documents located in folders stored in the
server, as I clicked open the Word document, it gave me an error that
is can't locate the source data.

For your info, my source data is a ms query data in excel format. I
then tried stored the query file in my local harddrive while
maintaining the Word file in the server, it works. Does it means that
my source data must always be in the server or there is a way to get
around it?

Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Mike

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Try setting the "Confirm file coversions at open" item under
ToolsOptionsGeneral and then when you attach the data source, use
the DDE option.

You may also need to format the cells in column that contains that
data as Text.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Mike" wrote in message
How do I keep the display result in Mail Merge to follow exactly the
format
set in the Excel file?

I cannot use the format switches due to the same field in the excel
file contains multiple format, ie. the same field contains data
like date and numbers, i need the display result in Word to show
both dates and numbers.