Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Laurel[_2_] Laurel[_2_] is offline

Default Change vertical ruler for individual pages????

What is the "status bar?" I looked it up in HELP, but it isn't there. In
other words, can you tell me in excruciating detail how I can look to see if
my document really does have separate sections? I've never worked with
sections.

Also, how do I "display text boundaries?" It's not in Show/Hide or Word
Options/Display that I can see. I think I did see it once somewhere, but
don't know where.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Space Before is retained at the top of a page after a section break, which
could explain the top margins. I think you'll find it much easier to find
what you're dealing with if you display text boundaries (which will show
you where the margins actually are). You should certainly be able to see
section breaks in Normal/Draft view, and you can see section numbers on
the status bar.

You would probably find it helpful to read
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Laurel" wrote in message
The first page of each chapter shows that the page starts two inches down
from the top in the vertical ruler to the left. All subsequent pages
shows it starting one inch down. What you're suggesting is that each
first page is a different "section" from all the other pages. How do I
find out whether I have sections in this document?

Actually, I mis-stated my experience. I wasn't changing the vertical
ruler from one inch to two inches, but, rather, from two inches to one
inch. And I was fixing a problem created by Word, when it magically
created a two inch header on regular pages (not first pages) after I
removed a line feed above.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You cannot change the margins of individual pages. You can change the
margins of sections, and, if each chapter is a section and you have
"Different first page" enabled, you can fake a larger top margin on the
first page of a chapter by adding space to the First Page Header.

http://word.mvps.org

"Laurel" wrote in message
I'm working on a document, a dissertation that has been through the
hands of several editors. Yesterday I was able to change the vertical
ruler for first pages of chapters, so it started 2 inches from the top
of the page, while the rest of the pages stayed at one inch below.

Today I tried to do that for the APPENDIX and REFERENCES, and no matter
what I do, if I slide the ruler one inch down, it affects all the pages
in the document.

HELP!!! Getting a PhD requires more knowledge about Word than about
the subject matter!!!!!!!!!!! Arghhh!!!!!