Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hilary

Default Excessively Confused: Why are TOC Considered "Headers?"

"Arcana for the sake of Arcana"--with apologies to you, Mr. Blom, to Ms.
Barnhill, and to the other gentleman who attempted to help...

I did exactly as you said. I Selected NOTHING and left the cursor blinking
at the head of the document. I then applied Heading 1 to the first entry
(line of text), then the second, third, fourth, etc. All that happened was
that the font changed.

However, I then went to InsertIndex and TablesEtc.... and applied a TOC.
The enlarged, engorged font remained, but a table of contents *did* generate,
right aligned, with the enlarged, engorged "Heading 1" entries repeated
beneath it.

I find this inexcusably and ridiculously convoluted. Maybe it's just me,
but that's how I feel. It's as if the authors of WORD wanted a "secret club"
only those with a LOT of free time or advanced experience (such as the MVP
designation) could use. Look! It's taken me three days simply to begin to
*approach* an answer I could implement by myself.

Again, thank you greatly for your time.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Make sure that when you apply headings, you either have nothing
selected (so that you see the insertion point blinking) or you have
whole paragraphs selected; otherwise, Word won't apply the heading
styles but only their font formatting to text.

Also, if you inserted the TOC before applying heading styles, you have
to update the TOC. To do this, right-click the TOC and choose Update
Field. If prompted, make sure to update the entire table.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hilary" skrev i meddelandet
I have gone to Ms. Kelly's page multiple times, but when I follow

her
instructions about Selecting All text, then applying the Heading 1

(or 2, or
3) Style to it, all that happens is that the Font changes. No Table

of
Contents appears.

In addition, I repeatedly get the BOLD error message *Error! No

table of
contents entries found.*

This shouldn't be as difficult as it is, but thank you for taking

the time
to respond.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See:

How to create a table of contents in Microsoft Word
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hilary" wrote in message
(Thank you to Doug Robbins.)

I spent the better part of a splendid Memorial Day trying to

create
my first
"automatic" TOC. I copied a "hand-made" TOC to a New Document,

then
went
through the InsertTables and Fields [this is WORD 2000](rest

of
the stuff).

Each time I did this and tried to apply the template to my

Pasted
selection,
an error message in BOLD showed up saying basically "There is No
Text to
Apply Formatting To" (or something to that affect.

If you could tell me what I did wrong, I would very much

appreciate
it. And
again, I'm asking for the titles of any hard-copy books or

websites
where
mastering the more complex and technical aspects of WORD are

taught.
Firefox-ed a page that literally calls itself "Complex Aspects

of
WORD," but
for my purposes, I would appreciate a book or interactive CD.

Thank you.