Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default You need to change the paste special

On Aug 10, 11:43*am, MyHandsy
wrote:
Yes it is; But then the UI would be unusable because it would be nothing but
buttons and useless crap that no one needs (a state which Word is approaching
already without incorporating all the whims in the universe)

I think adding a simple "paste without formatting" context menu item is far
from exotic, as evidenced by several other applications which deploy it in
that way.

Peter Daniels (you know, the "nice and helpful" one who didn't take my post
to a personal level at all) noted that "No one here is 'within Microsoft.'"
If this is true (not likely) then the users of this forum have done a
remarkable job emulating Microsoft's general stance on their products; "Our
products are perfect. Let us help you understand why your desires are
inadequate."

You have apparently read approximately zero of the postings here.

All I suggested was that microsoft add a simple context menu item. That's
really all I am suggesting. I added some verbal flare because I love how
fanboys on forums like this get all wound up over nothing... seriously; thank
you all for much laughter!

Are you twelve yet? If you're only eleven, then you're precocious. If
you're an adult, get a life.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:
It is not possible to cater for the individual whims of every user, so one
of the good things about Word is that it is easily customised to suit
individual user preferences. Even with Word 2007 is is not that difficult to
add a command to the ribbon, so if you want particular paste commands there,
you can have them. Similarly you can add items of your choice to the right
context button, or even simpler, you can add commands to the QAT (Quick
Access Toolbar) as suggested by Peter.

Seehttp://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htmand
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_...amatically.htm

However as this is a question referring to the Outlook editor which is not
Word and which uses different vba procedures, you would be better asking
your question about programming the editor in an Outlook forum.

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

MyHandsy wrote:
Ahhh... I love how people focus on me or my particular situation and
not the essence of my point. This tendency is truly the source of
endless hours of forum entertainment!

My point is this:
I sometimes want to post with formatting (like a table from excel),
but usually not. The formatting option is easy, the non-formatting
option is not and it needs to be. Therefore, setting a permanent
option deep within the bowels of Word misses the point of what I am
trying to suggest.

I want/need the option to be on-the-fly... as in the case with
products like "Thunderbird." *Adding a context menu item is not hard,
and the current context menu isn't very large, so there is literally
no reason it could not be added. It would look fine and would appease
many people. Those who don't care could happily ignore it (and
proceed to insert all the clip-art they want, since people who paste
with formatting all the time are just those kinds of people).

In point of fact; I am referring to Outlook 2007 actually but, since
it's using word for the editor, Outlook is not the right product to
criticize (at least not for this part).

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

No one here is "within Microsoft."

You don't bother to say what version of Word you use, but you can
simply add the "Paste Unformatted" command as a button on your QAT
(Word2007) or on whichever toolbar(s) you choose (Word2003), using
the Customize procedure.

On Aug 7, 11:04 am, MyHandsy
wrote:
I am (somewhat) sure someone within Microsoft is concerned about the
usability of Office. In particular, I am referring to the Word
component. As it turns out, Word is quite bad at making specially
formatted items look normal, and it is almost never the case that I
even wanted it to try.

So, why do you people think it's OK to bury the "past special"
option? In order to paste something as simply text, I have to get
it into the clipboard and then go back to word (keystroke) select
the past menu (mouse movement and click) select paste special
(mouse movement and click) select "unformatted text" (mouse
movement and click) then click "ok" (mouse movement and click). Not
acceptable. I am surprised you haven't been sued for causing CTDs
for this feature alone. Four mouse movements, four clicks, and a
keystroke is very bad for something that is routinely used.

On the bright side, it is far faster for me to open notepad (mouse
movement and click), paste (keystroke) select all (keystroke) and
copy (keystroke), and go back to Word and paste (keystroke). One
mouse movement and four (consecutive) keystrokes... hundreds of
dollars for the office suite and I have to rely on notepad to
launder my clipboard items?

Whatever data you've collected suggesting that it's better to make
it difficult to paste just the text is just wrong. There is
absolutely no excuse for a "paste as plain text" option to be
missing from the context menu in Word. If there is a religious war
going on inside Microsoft preventing this from happening, please
fire a lot of people.

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see
the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the
Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the
message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...?mid=cc44....- Hide quoted text -