Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default You need to change the paste special

On Aug 10, 8:57*pm, Greg Maxey wrote:
On Aug 10, 3:12*pm, MyHandsy
wrote:

Thanks Beth.

Others have suggested this. I understand there are ways to permanently
disable formatted pasting (which I don't want to do) and macros/QAT things I
can do to expose the options. This is no mystery to me. I simply want
"pasting without formatting" to be in a context (right click) menu next to
"past with formatting." Other applications do this and it is remarkably
useful.

The dozens of other words in my original post which don't convey this simple
suggestion were designed to 1) vent a little, and 2) get the fanboys wound up
because that's usually pretty funny.

I acheived both goals .

"Beth Melton" wrote:
Does the Paste Options button and "Keep text only" not work for you? This is
what I use for stripping the formats.

Additionally, in Office 2010 (including Outlook) if you click the arrow
below Paste you'll see same options as you do when using the Paste Options
button (they're on the shortcut menus too). That way you can select "Keep
text only" as you are pasting. :-)

~Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"MyHandsy" wrote in message
I am (somewhat) sure someone within Microsoft is concerned about the
usability of Office. In particular, I am referring to the Word component.
As
it turns out, Word is quite bad at making specially formatted items look
normal, and it is almost never the case that I even wanted it to try.

So, why do you people think it's OK to bury the "past special" option? In
order to paste something as simply text, I have to get it into the
clipboard
and then go back to word (keystroke) select the past menu (mouse movement
and
click) select paste special (mouse movement and click) select "unformatted
text" (mouse movement and click) then click "ok" (mouse movement and
click).
Not acceptable. I am surprised you haven't been sued for causing CTDs for
this feature alone. Four mouse movements, four clicks, and a keystroke is
very bad for something that is routinely used.

On the bright side, it is far faster for me to open notepad (mouse
movement
and click), paste (keystroke) select all (keystroke) and copy (keystroke),
and go back to Word and paste (keystroke). One mouse movement and four
(consecutive) keystrokes... hundreds of dollars for the office suite and I
have to rely on notepad to launder my clipboard items?

Whatever data you've collected suggesting that it's better to make it
difficult to paste just the text is just wrong. There is absolutely no
excuse
for a "paste as plain text" option to be missing from the context menu in
Word. If there is a religious war going on inside Microsoft preventing
this
from happening, please fire a lot of people.

MyHandsy,

Hats off for the spanking that you have handed Peter here. *I haven't
read through the entire thread, but I've seen enough to see him in
typical arrogant form and you handling him quite nicely. *I am
appalled and certainly shaken by his boorish behaviour. *Like Woodrow
F. Call, you don't seem to like rude behaviour in a man. *I sure wish
you had a horse and bullwhip ;-)

It's perfectly obvious that you haven't read the thread, or you would
have seen "MyHandsy" bragging about his own nastiness (he calls it
"getting the fanboys wound up," whatever that means.) As I did with
you, I answered him in his own style. (Though you seem to have snipped
whatever it was you were congratulating him for. At least, no such
"spanking" appears above.)