Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Word 2003 docs - 'wings' - getting rid of permanently

Approximately 1300 people a month view that page [...]

FWIW, I refer people to http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm so often
that I don't even have to look it up; I know it by heart. There is only one
more such link, namely
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The article I referred to is one I wrote myself. Approximately 1300 people
a month view that page - and only rarely has anyone provided any feedback
to the effect that it is difficult to understand. Where the criticism has
been valid, I have made changes to cover those criticisms. I have also
recently added alternative illustration to show where Word 2007 differs
from the earlier versions.

I said in my original reply

"add the line
Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False
to both an autoopen and an autonew macro in the normal template."

I then pointed you to my web page where autonew and autoopen macros are
explained as well as how to implement the use of vba code posted in
newsgroup forums.

I also have a page on my web site explaining how to use Norton Ghost in
pictures that a child should be able to understand. Hopefully mine was not
the page you were referring to

Xylophone wrote:
Thanks, Suzanne. The article mentioned autoopen and autonew but did
not say these are the names you give to the macros you create in the
editor. I have now done so thanks to you.

I have just come away from a research committee where we were much
exercised by the lack of use of plain English in documentation. A
moment's thought would tell the author of the article to which Graham
refers that it does not explain what it sets out to explain to an
idiot. What didn't the author simply run his draft past an idiot, or
a few idiots. I recall the instructions I struggled with in the
case of Norton Ghost, where to me they were literally
incomprehensible. The guy who wrote them would no doubt be offended
by that, and express surprise that anyone should think that. He
understands and he has expressed his understanding. What he did not
do is express it in the language of the ordinary person who does not
understand. That after all is the purpose of instructions.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
AFAIK, the Visual Basic Editor has not changed for Word 2007. It
seems to me that Graham's instructions are very clear. You have
already managed to create your macro and get to the VBE, where I'm
assuming you're seeing this:

Sub Wings()
'
' Wings Macro
' Macro created date by user
'

End Sub

You paste the VBA code you were given above End Sub, then click the
Save button on the VBE toolbar. You don't have to choose where to
save it, as Word already knows this (the module already exists, is
already saved).

But this really won't help you much because Wings is not the correct
name of the macro; you need to create (or edit) a macro named
AutoNew and one called AutoRun. If you didn't find this information
in Graham's article, then you did not read all of it because there
is a section toward the end titled "Auto... macros" that gives
illustrations of several macros similar to the one you're trying to
create.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Xylophone" wrote in message
I can't make head nor tail of the alleged 'idiot's guide. Much of
it does not appear in my use of Word, so I have to guess. That
takes me so far. I create a 'Wings' macro. This takes me into MS
Virtual Basic with some lines already there. Then I paste the line
supplied in the email over those lines. This leaves me with the
the line, and only that. Then what? I can't save the line, as I
don't know where it would be saved to, if anywhere. As for auto
entries, I can't see any or any links to or anything to do with
auto entries. So how do I get the line into an auto entry, etc. as
advised.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Okay, let's back up. I agree that it would not have been possible
to know that the
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm article
applies to Word 2003. It was written for (IIRC) Word 2000 and has
not been updated recently, but the principles in it apply to all
versions of Word (even, I suppose, Word 2007, even though it
doesn't have "menus" per se).

As for the "Idiot's Guide," it is not about *creating* macros but
about how to *install* a macro you have been given, which is your
situation. Read it carefully; it's just telling you where to paste
the VBA you've been handed. There is another article on the same
subject at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm,
but I think Graham's article is clearer (though certainly not as
concise). If you gave up too early on Graham's article, you may
not have reached the "Auto... macros" section toward the end,
which explains how to create the AutoNew and AutoOpen macros he
suggests creating.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Xylophone" wrote in message
Suzanne,

Many thanks. It will be frustrating for you guys. I respect and
admire what you do. I am not some geek, biting my nails in the
corner. I would have not have known from reading it that the
registry article applies to Word 2003. I shall now follow it to
the letter. As for the idiot's guide to macros, this tells you
how to create a macro. Great. What it doesn't tell you is what
to put in the macro (kindly been provided in my case). Hence my
aversion to macros: in the absence of such assistance (and where
else might I might find that?), they are totally useless to me.
The same applies to DOS. Many's the time I have been pilloried
for not understanding DOS, yet I have never ever found any
document that explains it in ordinary language, so how am I
expected to understand it? There was a little bit about it in a
Windows Manual I got many years ago. Perhaps the truth is that
you either 'get' these things or you don't. I have 4 degrees

and
am
successful person. But I tend to be literal minded, so that
things of a technical nature usually have to spelled out to me.
There we go.

Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The link that Stefan gave applies to all versions (with
appropriate modification of the version number in the Registry
key name), and Graham provides complete instructions on how to
use his macro in the article he referred to.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Xylophone" wrote in message
Stefan, your link makes no specific reference to Word 2003, and
Graham, macros are a no-go area for me: incomprehensible, I'm
afraid.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Word 2003 particularly has an irriatting habit of randomly
losing some settings from Tools Options. The easiest
workaround is to force the settings you want in auto macros.
In this case, add the line
Options.AllowClickAndTypeMouse = False
to both an autoopen and an autonew macro in the normal
template. See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Xylophone wrote:
I use Word 2003 on a XP machine. Every time I open a new

Word
doc,
get 'wings' attached to the cursor which drives me mad. I
can get rid of them by going into Options/Edit and unclicking
Click and Type. But they come back when I open the next new
doc, when Click and Type is ticked again. How can I get
unclicking Click and Type to stick, so that this problem is
solved permanently? I imagine a registry adjustment would do
the trick. Thanks.