Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jim Tortorelli Jim Tortorelli is offline

Default TOC dropping some heading levels

....But now the appendix letter does not appear with the page number
automatically. If I add it manually, it does not show up in the TOC. It
seems I somehow have to use a real heading style to get auto page number
letters.

Jim

"Jim Tortorelli" wrote in message
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks, J.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
The problem is that custom style assignments for a TOC get discarded when
you update.

Instead of using headings 6 and 7, create new styles based on headings 1
and 2 (perhaps called Appendix 1 and 2). Then you don't need to do
anything at all. The TOC will see them them as equivalent to H1 and H2.

"Jim Tortorelli" wrote in message
I am working on a series of large documents with appendices. To get the
headings to number the way I wanted, I made Heading 6 the appendix title
in the form

Appendix (X).

With its format based on my chapter level Heading 1,

And headings 7, 8, and 9 formatted into appendix versions of body
headings 2, 3, and 4.

When I make a TOC with 2 levels of headings, and assign level 1 and 2 to
headings 6 and 7 manually, it forms correctly, but----if I ever do a
full update, it looses the heading 6 and 7 entries.

I thought it used to work fine this way. Any ideas on how to fix this or
alternatives to get separate appendix numbering?

Thanks,

Jim T