Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dhall

Default Mail merge with Access DB does not see a query

Mr. Jamieson,

Thanks for providing this answer! I had the same problem using Access
queries, and your idea worked for me.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

If you change the connection method to DDE in Word (check Word
Tools|Options|General|COnfirm conversion at open, then go through the
connection process again, and choose DDE when offered, you will probably see
most tables and queries. However, Word has to run a copy of Access to do
that.

By default, Word 2003 uses OLEDB to connect, and certain query types cannot
be used, especially:
a. parameter queries (if you run them in Access you will be prompted for
some values to be plugged into the query)
b. queries that use user-defined functions written in Access VBA

Other types of query, e.g. Union queries, queries using certain functions
(one or two of the financial ones, for example), and queries using wildcards
(*?%?) either may not be visible or may not work.

Peter Jamieson

"SarahB" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003 and Access 2003

I have a database with many queries, some of which are different types. I
am trying to create a mail merge with a regular Select query.

When I say to use that database as a data source, all of my other select
queries and tables are in the list for me to choose from except that one.