Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Default Sharing Quick Parts

Quick Parts (and other Building Blocks) are stored in the template but not
visible in normal circumstances. If you have opened (or created a document
from) your BuildingBlocks.dotx file, it will appear empty in the Word UI -
that does not mean it does not contain the Quick Parts. Try copying your
file to someone else's computer and see if they then have your Quick Parts.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Jag" wrote in message
There is a document in:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Document Parts\1033

Called Building Blocks.dotx, but it is empty. I've tried various searches
on the C: drive, including hidden files. I've even tried building*.*. No
other hits.

"Frank H" wrote:

As you can imagine, Word has a whole bunch of folders and files that it
uses.

All the quick parts are stored in a file named "building blocks.dotx" (if
remember correctly; don't have 2007 handy). This file exists in a
specific
folder, which is usually part of the person's profile.
If you do a Search for building blocks (or variations of the name, in
case I
don't remember correctly) on your PC, you should find the file, and be
able
to see the path to where the file is stored.
It will probably be something like:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data
Administrator is the user name.
Every username on a PC has it's own set of folders: go take a look on
yours.

Once you find building blocks.dotx (or whatever it is named), you (or
they)
can copy that file to your collegues' corresponding folder.
--
Frank H
Rockford, IL

"Jag" wrote:

I created a document using quick parts, but when I go to distribute it
to my
department, their systems don't have the quick parts in the documents
building blocks. How can I move the quick parts with document. I would
rather put it on a shared drive, but that doesn't work either.

I saw this in another thread:
"The easiest way is to add a renamed copy of the file to the user's
Document
Building Blocks folder. (It is also possible to add the file to the
Startup
folder, of course.) "

But, I don't understand the action. Rename what file? Put "the file"
in
what start-up? Windows, Office, Word? And how?