Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
E McElroy[_2_] E McElroy[_2_] is offline

Default Can I run Word 2003 with Office 2007?

When I do a print preview, I get a white sheet which indicates that the white
font is being preserved but not the blue background. Since I do mostly
programming, I don't have a color printer so I was uncertain whether this was
a limitation caused by my printer. Since you brought this up, however, I
would guess that you must be seeing a similar result on your print preview.

Well, it's easy enough to check for someone with a color printer but whether
the blue background is preserved or not, my guess is that it's more
economical to purchase blue paper than to color white sheets blue with a
printer.

E McElroy

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Have you tried printing a document with these formatting suggestions?

DCH wrote:
Thank you thank you for taking the time to explain all this, McElroy.
Some of it is over my head but I have worked out a partial (though
not very elegant) solution: I put the "Page Background" icon on the
Quick Access Toolbar. Creating a new document, I click on the Page
Background icon and choose dark blue and the text automatically comes
up white. Perfect. It requires three clicks to get a new
blue-background/white text page for every new document but I can live
with that. The major problem is that "found" text (text found by the
"Find and Replace" function) is highlighted in either dark gray or
black, which is almost impossible to find against the dark blue
background. If "found" text were highlighted in almost any other
color, such that I could see it against the blue background, I would
be a happy man ("over the moon" as my daughter says). Is it possible
to change the color of "found" text? Thank you again for your time
and help McElroy.

DCH

"E McElroy" wrote:

There is a way to get white text on a blue background in Word 2007
by using the following recipe:

1. In the Page Backround group of the Page Layout tab, click Page
Color and select a shade of blue - this is the blue background.

2. Type a line of text and then place the insertion point inside a
word of text.

3. Right click on the selected text and choose Font from the menu.

4. On the Font dialog box select white in the Font Color drop down
list box. The word containing the insertion point will turn white.

5. Without moving the insertion point, right click again and choose
Styles from the context menu. This displays a submenu.

6. From the submenu choose Save Selection As A New Quick Style. This
displays the Create New Style From Formatting dialog box.

7. In the Create New Style From Formatting dialog box, enter the
name of the Style. If you used say, the "Heading 1" style for the
text, then you might want to call it "White Font Heading 1".

You can alter steps 6 and 7 to change the existing style to have
white font - choose Update Heading 1 To Match Selection in step 6.

You can see there is a bit of tedium initially: for every style of
font you use, at the beginning you will need to create a white font
version of it or change it to use white font. However, most
documents aren't likely to use a huge number of styles and over time
you'll have a big collection which you can store in your normal
template file. In fact, a good start might be to edit the normal
template file and simply change all the styles to use white font.

Perhaps some other folks here can suggest ways to reduce the initial
tedium by utilizing themes or some other technique.

Some time ago, I believe Word took it's cue from the setting of the
system colors for window and window text. Whether that's true now in
2007 with themes I don't know. One of the major goals behind the
implementation of system color and font settings was to help people
with less than optimal vision to use Windows. This would be worth
exploring if the above approach is unsuitable or excessively tedious.

E McElroy

The deletion of the blue background/white text option in Word 2007
is sending me back to Word 2003. Can I uninstall Word 2007 and
re-install Word 2003 while retaining the rest of Office 2007? And
if so, can you tell me how?

Many thanks for whatever suggestions anyone may have,

DCH