Peter Jamieson

Whoops! I'm glad you found that as it was the one thing that I left out that
really needed to be there. Time for a break, I think :-)

I have no idea why MS didn't document the SubType argument - for future
reference it's always worth
a. having a look at their knowledgebase at http://support.microsoft.com
b. searching Google Groups

Peter Jamieson
"Rey" wrote in message
Peter:
Thanks for your helpful advice. While I was waiting for your reply I
found an even better solution (Because I do port from home to church and
back
since I do the development at home). It is to use
SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000 at the end of the OpenDataSource call. I
found this answer at Cindy Meister's excellent website:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...002/MM2002.htm

Of course, if Microsoft had documented the SubType argument to
OpenDataSource it would have saved me uncountable work and grief. But I
guess
that is expecting too much. :-(
Thanks again for all your help.
Rey

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Once you have gone through the connection process once, Word should
remember
the connection and your users should not have to make it (unless you are
distributing the application for use on systems where the files will be
in
different folders etc., and it doesn't sound as if you are). The users
may
encounter one or more security-related messages (at least one from Word
about SQL, and one from Access) but they should not have to pick a table
or
query name.

To make a DDE connection in code from Word 2000/2002 I think you will
need
to do at least the following:

ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _
Name:="the full pathname of your access .mdb", _
Connection:="QUERY the query name", _ ' or "TABLE the table name"
SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM [the table or query name]"

Peter Jamieson