Charles has already pointed you to
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm. You might also want
to see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm

"wordperfect is superior" wordperfect is
wrote in message
news

I have always disliked Word. It is an inferior product. However, I find
myself forced to use it.

I do not understand how people use it without a "reveal codes" function.
Word takes over in too many instances and forces all sorts of formating on
what I am typing.

Why don't you make it possible for people to see the codes you insist on
interjecting all over the place? That way we could delete them.

It is a big mistake to write word processing programs as though whenever
someone begins a line with a number, for example, they intend to produce

an
outline.

Or, what about tabs that mysteriously become impervious to the mouse?

Get rid of all this automatic formatting!!!! Or, at the very least, give

us
the power to see it and delete it.

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.