Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Black Doctor[_2_] Black Doctor[_2_] is offline

Default How do I format mail merge fields?

Exactly what I have written : 'Error! Unknown character in picture string.'

This is the code : { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyy"}

I still can't see where its going wrong.

Cheers

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

As the formatting switch is correct, the must be something wrong with the
data. What is displayed if you remove the formatting switch.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Black Doctor" wrote in message
It still doesn't work. Now I get an error in the field saying : 'Error!
Unknown charater in picture string'.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Black Doctor,

The lower-case 'm's in your formatting switch are for minutes - months
require 'M's. Try:
{ MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d MMMM yyyy"}
After pressing Alt-F9 to toggle the code display off, press F9 to update
the displayed results.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Black Doctor" Black wrote in message
| I am using Excel & Word 2003. I have tried to format the merge fields
in my
| document without success. For example, I want the date to read 1
December
| 2007. After I press Alt+F9, my 'date' field is as follows : {
MERGEFIELD
| "Date1" } so I changed it to read { MERGEFIELD "Date1" \@ "d mmmm
yyy"} - but
| when I hit Alt+F9 again it doesn't change the format. What am I doing
wrong?