Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Printing merged data into 2 columns

You are trying to do something that Word's mail merge utility does not have
the ability to do. As your data is in Access, I would use an Access report
to create the letters.

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"magicdds" wrote in message
I believe that I am not explaining myself properly so I will show you all
the
information, with the problem printout.

1)Here is the data being merged from Access (There are 4 fields of data):

PatientFirstName PatientName Category DxTxInfo
John John Doe Diagnosis Class II,
Division1
John John Doe Arch Length Discrepancy Moderate Maxillary
Crowding
John John Doe Arch Length Discrepancy Severe Mandibular
Crowding
John John Doe Crossbite Bilateral posterior
crossbite

2) Here is the letter prior to merging (the vertical lines below,
represent
the dividing line between the two columns to be printed in the table;
Column
#1 is the category field, Column #2 is the DxTxInfo field):

{ If { Mergeseq } = "1" "Dear { MERGEFIELD "PatientFirstName" }:

This treatment information is about {MERGEFIELD "pATIENTnAME" }:

" "" }
{ iF { MERGESEQ } = "1" "{MERGEFIELD | {MERGEFIELD "DxTxInfo" }{SET
place2
"Category" }:" ""}{SET place1 { | {MERGEFIELD
"Category" }}
MERGEFIELD "Category" }}{ IF { place2 |
} { place1 } " { MERGEFIELD |
"Category" }: ""} |
We would like to welcome «PatientFirstName» to our office and hope you
enjoy
your experience.
Sincerely,
Dr. Jim Jones

3) Here is the result after merging:

Dear John:

This treatment information is about John Doe:

Diagnosis: Class II, Division1
We would like to welcome John to our office and hope you enjoy your
experience.
Sincerely,
Dr. Jim Jones
Arch Length Discrepancy: Moderate Maxillary Crowding
We would like to welcome John to our office and hope you enjoy your
experience.
Sincerely,
Dr. Jim Jones
Severe Mandibular Crowding
We would like to welcome John to our office and hope you enjoy your
experience.
Sincerely,
Dr. Jim Jones
Crossbite: Bilateral posterior crossbite
We would like to welcome John to our office and hope you enjoy your
experience.
Sincerely,

Dr. Jim Jones

4) This is what I would like it to look like:

Dear John:

This treatment information is about John Doe:

Diagnosis: Class II, Division1
Arch Length Discrepancy: Moderate Maxillary Crowding
Severe Mandibular Crowding
Crossbite: Bilateral posterior crossbite

We would like to welcome John to our office and hope you enjoy your
experience.
Sincerely,

Dr. Jim Jones

I appreciate your help so far. If you can tell me what I am doing wrong,
that would be great.

THANKS
Mark