Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] gabbypownallbrown@gmail.com is offline

Default Total Page Number Minus Number of Pages in Front Matter

On Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:07:02 AM UTC-4, Rhonda wrote:
I have a document with 4 pages of front matter (cover page and table of contents) and then 42 pages of text in the body of the document. I have the pages of the body numbered "Page X of Y", but the Y is the total pages of the entire document (46) and I want it to represent Y minus the pages in the front matter (42) i.e. I want all my body pages to actually say "Page 'X 'of 42" not "Page 'X' of 46". Of course I could manually enter the number 42 in place of Y, but the document will eventually be updated and additional pages will result so I want it automated. (If the solution involves fields and formulas, go slow I have no idea how to create new ones!)Thanks so much!Rhonda

YOU ARE A GENIUS. THE ANSWER TO MY X of Y was I wasn't using Ctrl+F9 to make brackets. Thank you.