Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ryan Ryan is offline

Default Word 2007 merge to email limitations?

I've myself noticed this issue of longer than usual mail merges. Upon further
inspection, I've noticed that email sent through a mail merge in Word
2007/Outlook 2007 take up almost a megabyte per message, which is ridiculous.
Any suggestions on how to rectify this issue is appreciated.

" wrote:

Hi Glen:
I too am very interested in this response. Every mass mail programme
we have looked at involves uploading a file to a web based service,
and none have been easy to simplay replace an existing fdat source, so
you end up with many databases. Hope you get some answers
Cheers
Cathy

On Aug 15, 5:20 am, GlenH wrote:
We have a database of around 20,000 employees. Once a month we need to send
each employee an email with the status of an incentive program they're
eligible for. We just upgraded to Office 2007 Enterprise. Last month, using
Office 2003, the merge to email took maybe two hours. This month, the merge
fails after 700 or 800 records with a "not enough memory" error from Word..
Looking at task manager, I see that winword.exe is taking up nearly 1.6 gig
of the 2.0 gig of ram. Is this just a limitation of Word 2007, or is there
some kind of memory leak going on here? Whatever the case, we can't keep
breaking up the merge (which is an Excel spreadsheet) into 700 record
batches. Service Pack 1 is not installed. Would installing that maybe help?

Or is a 20,000 row merge to email just too much for Word/Outlook, and should
we look for a mass email solution?

Glen