Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Glen Harness Glen Harness is offline

Default Word 2007 merge to email limitations?

Thanks. I'm pretty sure the user is an admin on his workstation, but I'll
double check. That mail merge tool kit might be worth trying anyway, so I'll
check that out as well.

Glen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
There have been other suggestions about this issue of late, including...
a. the one in this conversation:

We've opened a case with Microsoft. Their initial suggestion was to
verify
that the user had permissions to write to
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ Temporary Internet Files
or
the parallel location on XP. Our users are not admins on their
workstations,
so I'm going to test this hypothesis.

b. one in the docmanagement newsgroup:

As a work around I installed MAPILABS Mail Merge tool kit. ***I did not
use
Mail Merge Tool kit, I just installed it! The merge ran as it should 486
email in 4 min. NO HANG!!!!!!

Would love to know what changes the tool kit makes to office 2K7????

Since I haven't been able to replicate the problem here, I have no way of
checking either of these suggestions.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Glen Harness" wrote in message
I'm not high enough in the food chain at my organization to place the
call to MS support...

I'm wondering if instsalling Office 2007 Service Pack 1 would make a
difference? We've reverted to doing the email merge on a laptop with
Office 2003 for now, but next week we have to do another 20000 mailing to
folks with a personalized flu shot consent form. We may have to look at
some mass email software...

Thanks.

Glen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Are you merging to HTML format?

If so, the issue of Word hanging etc. has come up more than once and has
been reported. What will happen as a result I do not know. Your
description is slightly different (crash rather than hang), so may not
be the same problem - since you are an Enterprise user it may well have
more effect if you can report this directly to the appropriate Microsoft
support channel in your country/region. (Here, we're just volunteers)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"GlenH" wrote in message
We have a database of around 20,000 employees. Once a month we need to
send
each employee an email with the status of an incentive program they're
eligible for. We just upgraded to Office 2007 Enterprise. Last month,
using
Office 2003, the merge to email took maybe two hours. This month, the
merge
fails after 700 or 800 records with a "not enough memory" error from
Word.
Looking at task manager, I see that winword.exe is taking up nearly 1.6
gig
of the 2.0 gig of ram. Is this just a limitation of Word 2007, or is
there
some kind of memory leak going on here? Whatever the case, we can't
keep
breaking up the merge (which is an Excel spreadsheet) into 700 record
batches. Service Pack 1 is not installed. Would installing that maybe
help?

Or is a 20,000 row merge to email just too much for Word/Outlook, and
should
we look for a mass email solution?

Glen