Stefan Blom

Are you saying that you want level one to be numbered but its
numbering should only display before level two numbers? Then you can
define numbering for level one but format it as hidden via the
Customize Outline Numbered style dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom

"BruceM" wrote in message
I used to have a '72 Nova. Quite a good car in a lot of ways, but

as it aged
it required some customized treatment in certain situations. For

instance, I
sometimes had to hop out of the car at intersections and kick the

headlights
to get them working again.
Word's numbering reminds me of that car sometimes, except that it

needed
special treatment right out of the box. However, I have come to a

place
where I don't know where to kick it. I have inherited a numbering

system.
It goes something like this:
Section 1 Blah blah blah
1.1 Blah BLAH blah blah
(a) Blah!

And so forth. I am well-acquainted with styles, and use them

regularly. I
have read Shauna Kelly's piece on numbering, MVP articles, and all

of that.
I have generally been successful at wrestling outline numbering into
submission, but this one has me stumped. I want to use outline

numbering
because I will be adding a table of contents. I generally use my

own defined
styles for outline numbering rather than modifying built-in heading

styles,
and have done so here. I will call the levels L1, L2, etc. I based

L1 on no
style, L2 on L1, etc. (cascading styles).
I go to L1 to define numbering for all levels. L1 numbering is

formatted
with no character (sometimes it is Introduction, sometimes Section

1,
sometimes Appendix 1, and so forth). No problem there. The

difficulty
arises at L2, which I would like to format as 1.1, 1.2, etc., but

since L1
has no character L2 defaults to 1., 2., etc. I tried skipping Level

2
numbering and applying L2 to Level 3 numbering so that L2 will use

1.1, etc.
as the numbering character. The trouble comes when I reach the

second
instance of L1 (i.e. when I get to Section 2). At that point I

cannot get L2
numbering to restart, even though I have specified in the numbering

dialog
that it is to restart numbering after Level 1. I have applied the

L1 style
to the paragraph that begins with "Section 2", but the numbering

plows ahead
with 1.3 when it should be 2.1. I link numbering levels to styles,

by the
way.
Any ideas for dealing with this? Changing the numbering format is

not among
my options.