Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Checking to see if a field reference or bookmark exists.

You can always try

{ IF "{ REF _Ref158707320 }" = "Error! Bookmark not found."
"None"
"as per { REF _Ref158707320 }" }

NB, you need the REFs in at least some of these fields - if you just use {
_Ref158707320 } you will probably see the error anyway.

However, you might also get the message

Error! Reference source not found.

and if your document happens to be used internationally you might have a
different message altogether.

So maybe you could put the following at the beginning of your document

{ SET noref { REF __ } }

then use

{ IF "{ REF _Ref158707320 }" = "{ noref }"
"None"
"as per { REF _Ref158707320 }" }

or if you want to play safe,

{ IF "{ REF _Ref158707320 }" = "{ REF noref }"
"None"
"as per { REF _Ref158707320 }" }

Peter Jamieson

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello,
We have a word document that we use as a template. Pretty much all
the sentences in the document are autonumbered. At the end of the
document we have a summary section, as indicated below:

[{Autonumber 2.1}]* Some text
{Autonumber 3} b Summary /b
{Autonumber 3.5} ... as per {2.1}

[]* Word automatically bookmarks as a hidden bookmark, e.g."
_Ref158707320".

However, sometimes certain sentences are not required, so we delete
them. This results in:
{Autonumber 3.5} ... as per {Error! Bookmark not found}.

Is there any way to conditionally check for the existence of the
bookmark? I'm thinking of something along the lines of:
{Autonumber 3.5} ... {if exist{_Ref158707320} then concatenate "as per
", & {_Ref158707320} else "None"}

Cheers,
Tim