Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QVN3YWRlbmVy?=,

The TOC is actually displayed in Reading Layout, but the page numbers all
show up as page #1. Then when you get out of Reading Layout on that
document, the page numbers are still #1. If, however, I simply save the
attachment to my hard drive (don't try to open it from an email attachment),
then open it from the hard drive all the page #s are correct.

Interesting. When I view a TOC (created in Word 2003) in the Reading Layout the TOC
shows no page numbers at all. This actually makes sense, since the RL "screens" usually
will not match up with the actual page numbers. And the TOC field is not consctructed
to work with RL "screens".

It appears this behavior is controlled by this switch, which Word 2003 apparently
includes in the TOC field by default:
\z: Hides tab leader and page numbers in Web layout view.

However, when I test sending myself a document containing a TOC without this switch the
page numbers have not reset to 1.

In which version of Word are these documents being created? Are you sure the TOC was
showing values other than 1 when it was sent to you?

Can't remember ever hearing of this, before. What, exactly, is being lost? The
entire field code? The bookmarks on which the TOC is built? Something else?

Can you give us a set of steps to reproduce the problem so that we can test it?

Additional finding is that docs created in older versions of MSWord when
attached to emails do not lose their TOC reference #s in Reading Layout.
Doesn't fix the problem, but does show that MSWord v9 (at least) file don't
get corrupted by Reading Layout.

"ASwadener" wrote:

MSWord 2003, when opening an attached document from Outlook 2003,
automatically shows the doc in Reading Layout... an annoyance, but that would
be fine if it didn't also lose all of the table of contents entries from the
original document before it was attached to the email. If you force MSWord
to NOT automatically show documents in Reading Layout (via the
ToolsOptionsGeneral function), the table of contents remains as it should
be. But the default behavior of MSWord IS to view in Reading Layout, so most
users who receive docs with TOCs will have this problem. When I'm creating
docs for prospective clients, I CANNOT have this problem. I've been having
to generate the table of contents and then copy-and-paste it as text to get
the document to be presented correctly to the email recipient.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the
newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)