Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alan Mitchell

Default Why would a word file increase dramatically in size?

Lyndon

I hit exactly the same problem, with a Word document that jumped from 1.3 Mb
to 5.4 Mb. I have no idea what caused it, but found a solution.

Save the document out as a .rtf version. The size dramtically increases
again (mine went to over 50 Mb), then save the .rtf as a Word document. The
size reverts to what it was before the document "exploded". (Mine returned to
1.3 Mb).

I know that isn't a particularly technical solution and offers no
explanation as to why the problem ocurred, but if you're desperate (as I was)
at least it lets you carry on working.

Best wishes

"lyndonjack" wrote:

When saving a Word 2003 manuscript document, the file size increased
dramatically from less than one MB to 2.5 MBs. No pictures were added, just
normal editing. Does anyone have a clue?